One of the most important parts of starting a dropshipping business is coming up with the RIGHT product to sell.
It can also be one of the most stressful aspects – if you let it.
Let me take some of the headache out of the process.
- Don’t stress about your product/idea. You’re an entrepreneur now. See yourself as a “master tester.” We launch the beta version and then adjust and tweak from there,
- Your first idea may not work, AND THAT’S OKAY! All that matters is that you launched, and that you learned something.
- Go niche. Don’t go with a broad product, go with a niche product, and become the expert in that niche.
Let me give you an example:
Here’s the broad idea: I want to sell men’s clothing. (Bad idea)
Niche that down a level: I want to sell men’s socks. (Better idea)
Niche down again: I want to sell crazy cat socks. (Best idea)
Sounds crazy right?
I just watched a webinar where they did a case study on a guy who sold crazy cat socks. That’s it. Socks with funny pictures of cats on them.
He consistently makes $3,000 A DAY in profit.
Because he niched down, and made himself THE go-to guy for these funny cat socks.
It’s actually genius because it’s in a niche with fanatics.
We all know several people who are cat fanatics, so when he would post his ad on Facebook, he would target people who like cats and cat related pages, and then people began commenting and sharing his post like crazy.
People would tag the cat fanatics they knew and it gave his online store a mini-viral effect.
How to test your product idea.
Go to Aliexpress.com and purchase just one of the items you want to sell.
When it arrives, (take note of how long it took to arrive to you) take pics, shoot a video, test the product, and write a review so you’ll have that information handy.
Now, go setup a free account on Etsy, Ebay, Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist.
All of them.
Now post your product ON ALL FOUR OF THOSE WEBSITES for the price you would want to sell it for on your own website.
Write a great description, post the benefits, lots of pictures, and put it at the price point you would like to test.
This will be your “trial run” with the product.
My whole philosophy for success is to START FAST.
I live by the motto: “It doesn’t have to be perfect, it just has to be done.”
So by going through these four avenues, you are eliminating excuses and starting fast. You don’t need a website, you don’t need lots of inventory, just post your product on these marketplaces and get some results.
Doing this will help you “test” your products appeal to the masses.
Here’s what the process would look like with the crazy cat sock example:
- Go to aliexpress.com and search “cat socks.” You get something like this:
Let’s go with the ones in the corner at $1.09 a pair with free shipping.
2. Place an order for yourself and have them shipped to your house.
3. Setup accounts at the marketplaces mentioned above. This particular item will probably fit best on etsy, since etsy already has “built-in buyers” of crazy cat socks.
4. Post your item for sale, provide lots of pictures, (Use pics from aliexpress, or take your own if they don’t have any) and list them for $9.99 plus $3.00 shipping.
Now wait and test.
If your product sells fast, then maybe go and order a few more pairs and try it again. You could even try bumping the price up by a few dollars. Once you’ve done this 1-3 times you should get a pretty good feel if you have a hit product or not.
If your product DOESN’T sell, that’s okay, don’t stress, use that data to re-evaluate and make some tweaks. Remember, this is your “beta test.”
You can try lowering the price a bit, maybe your pictures need to be a little nicer, maybe offer free shipping.
Take a look at what other successful sellers on etsy and ebay are doing and glean from them. (You can read the reviews from customers and see what makes them so great)
Remember though, the whole purpose of this exercise is to test the waters. I don’t necessarily want you to become an expert etsy/ebay seller. (It’s too much work, we want to create more passive income) I just want you to test your product there, before you invest a ton of time in building your website and marketing it.
Once you’ve validated your idea with a few sales, then let’s dive in and create a simple website that will take payments and help you setup your automated drop shipping business.
This is a great way to start fast, test the waters, make a few bucks, and then dive in head first!
Ready for some next steps? (Must be logged into EscapeYourDayJob to view)
- Need help coming up with your idea? This post will guide you through the process.
- Ready to build your website? Here’s a walkthrough video. (Even if you’re not techie)
- Want to reverse engineer your paycheck and escape your day job? Got a video on that too!
Want to create a simple drop shipping business and Escape Your Day Job?
Travis Peters is the founder of EscapeYourDayJob.com, the online course that walks you step by step through the exact same formula he used to build a simple drop shipping site that brings in 20k per month. It's also home to the EscapeYourDayJob Community which gives you access to other like minded entrepreneurs, as well as personal coaching from Travis himself. Click here for a guided tour of the EscapeYourDayJob Course and Community.