- Get up earlier and work on your dream
- Stay up late and work on your dream
For a short season, you may need to do both. But if you have to pick one or the other. Pick morning person! The benefits are far greater than staying up late.
I recently heard an interview where a school teacher started going to bed by 9pm and getting up at 3:30am to work on his online business until 6:30am when he had to leave for his day job.
He only to work like this for about 9 months until his side business brought in more than enough money for him to quit his day job (that he didn't like!)
I'm telling you, that type of laser-focused activity will pay off fast, and it's more than worth the sacrifice to get there. I promise!
Me personally, I wasn’t born a morning person.
I BECAME a morning person – on purpose.
And I’d go as far to say that it is one of the keys to success in life.
So here’s the deal:
Statistics show that early risers (those who get up by 6 am) are healthier, have more energy, get more done, and are genuinely happier than those that don’t.
PLUS the world’s wealthiest people are almost all early risers. In fact, in a recent article it showed that most of them wake up between 4 and 5am!
Sounds crazy right? Well here’s the thing, getting up early has FAR more benefits than staying up late or sleeping in.
I got myself into a routine of going to bed between 9:30-10:00pm and getting up at 4am every single day. Sundays I may sleep in till 6 or 6:30am.
I’ll tell you what, I get more done, produce more and make more money before most people even wake up. It’s an amazing and addictive feeling. Trust me, you do it once or twice and you’ll be hooked.
Let me tell you why you should be a morning person, and then I’ll tell you HOW to do it. (It’s easier than you think!)
Here’s what the Bible says about sleep (There are actually A LOT of scriptures about this, here are just two)
Proverbs 20:13 “If you love sleep, you will become poor; keep your eyes open, and you’ll have plenty of food.”
-How many times have you said to someone that you LOVE sleep? I hear it all the time and think…here comes poverty!
Now a simple definition of “love” is simply to prefer something. That’s why this is a big deal.
Most people prefer to sleep than to do what it takes to get ahead and advance in life.
That’s why you see so few people who do it. They prefer comfort over advancement. (Advancement is never comfortable BTW)
Proverbs 6:9-11 AMP says, “How long will you lie down, O lazy one? When will you arise from your sleep [and learn self-discipline]? “Yet a little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to lie down andrest” So your poverty will come like an approaching prowler who walks [slowly, but surely]And your need [will come] like an armed man [making you helpless].
Things get real serious in the Message Version: “You lazy fool, look at an ant. Watch it closely; let it teach you a thing or two. Nobody has to tell it what to do. All summer it stores up food at harvest it stockpiles provisions. So how long are you going to laze around doing nothing? How long before you get out of bed? A nap here, a nap there, a day off here, a day off there, sit back, take it easy—do you know what comes next? Just this: You can look forward to a dirt-poor life, poverty your permanent houseguest.
I read this and thought, “Okay then, I definitely don’t love sleep anymore!”
The main reason I wanted to become an EXTRA early morning person is because I was (and still am) looking to get ahead. I’m always working on new business projects and ideas. But at the time I was working a day job which I had to leave for at 8:30am so getting up early was my only time to work on the side stuff that would eventually become my main stuff.
Here’s the deal, I was ready to do whatever it took to get ahead and make progress, if that means getting up early, then that’s a small price to pay.
Here’s the other thing that got me motivated. I was watching a TV show about young real estate agents who were making millions of dollars per year, and one of the main guys said he got up everyday at 4am worked out, then went to work. And this guy was not a Christian by any means. And for me, I’ve always thought “If someone else can do it, I can do it.” – So that’s when I started getting up at 4am and it has taken my progress to the next level.
This also caught my attention: One entrepreneur started the 5 o’clock club. It’s based on the premise that fear doesn’t get up at 5am. You starting your day that early allows you to beat fear.
All the “scary” things that could happen, won’t happen because you’ve already got them tackled. Being an entrepreneur myself, I totally get this concept.
Okay, here’s the big one:
Above all, the reason I think it would benefit everyone to become a morning person is this:
In Ephesians 6 the Bible tells us to put on the whole armor of God. Why? Because we’re going to do battle each and every day, and He wants us to be prepared for whatever may come our way.
So let me ask you this: When does a warrior put on his armor?
BEFORE THE BATTLE!
When we get up early (instead of the last possible minute before we have to go to work/class/church) then we have the time to pray, get in the word, and put on our armor!
We are now equipped and prepared for combat, we’ve raised our shield of faith and can block all of the enemies of attacks.
I’ve noticed on the rare occasion I do sleep in till 8am or so, I wake up to emails with problems I have to solve, texts I need to reply to, and voicemails with urgent requests.
In other words, I wake up in the combat zone! It’s much harder to put on your armor in the middle of combat. You’ll spend the next few hours tending to your wounds instead of taking new ground.
Our man Jesus was also an advocate of getting up early to spend time with God:
Mark 1:35 tells us, “In the early morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house, and went away to a secluded place, and was praying there.”
Psalm 5:3 “In the morning, O Lord, You will hear my voice; In the morning I will prepare [a prayer and a sacrifice] for You and watch and wait [for You to speak to my heart]”
It’s quiet, it’s dark, it’s peaceful. It’s easy to hear God speak to your heart before the distractions of the day and the cares of this world creep in.
Now here’s how you’re going to do it:
- Start off slowly. Start setting your alarm clock back by 15 minutes. If you normally get up at 8am, set your alarm to 7:45am for the next 3 days. You’ll get it no problem. Then every 2-3 days work it back another 15 minutes. You will be surprised at how well this works.
- Move your alarm across the room. I set mine on my dresser where I have to take at least 4 steps to get to it. It also vibrates so it kind of “scares” me awake. This works wonders, by the time I turn the alarm off my heart rate is up and I’m standing, so I might as well just stay up!
- Make sure you CANNOT see what time it is throughout the night. Turn your clock away from you, put your phone out of reach. There is no reason you need to know what time it is until your alarm goes off! This will keep you from time watching and trying to countdown just how many hours of sleep you have left etc. – This will help you sleep deeper and fall asleep faster. – This one tip has changed my life, I’ve done it for at least 8 years now.
- You have to have a REASON to get up. (This is a big one!) For me it started when my Pastor challenged us to get up thirty minutes early to pray for 15 minutes and get in the Word for 15 minutes. He mentioned it once at service so I just committed to myself I would do it. So I did and I’ve done it ever since. (Now it usually goes longer than 30 minutes) Doing this will take your life to the next level. It sets you up for success like you’ve never known before. When you’re excited to get up and set your day up for success or work on a new side business you will be amazed at how easy it is to get up early.
This is you once you become a morning person:
Ready to kick butt, Elderly-Ninja style each and every day.
I guarantee you’ll like your new lifestyle as a morning person.
The honest truth is we only have 3, maybe 4 hours of power packed, laser focused productivity in us each day.
If you work a 9-5 job, you don’t work the full 8 hours. You go to the bathroom, you check Facebook, you chat, you text, you get up and get coffee…If we get down to it, you maybe WORK 3 solid hours.
There are a few little “hacks” we can do that will increase our productivity. If we only work 3-4 solid hours, let’s pack them full of as much progress as possible.
Here is what I’ve found is the BEST way to make progress:
1. Pick TWO things that are the most important for you to get done today. If you ONLY got these two things done, you would consider today a win. Write those two things down and get them done first.
(One of the greatest feelings in the world is getting those two things done before 7am!)
Sidenote: Keep your other tasks out of site. I put my smaller tasks out of site so I don’t think about them. Get the 2 big ones done, THEN look at the other tasks.
2. Anything else you need to do that day, prioritize in order of importance. I personally prefer to use sticky notes and place it by my computer. Cross things off as you get them done. It’s like watching a progress bar and will motivate you to get these tasks done quick! It’s powerful!
After you have them in order, do the HARDEST things first.
Make the hard phone calls before you do anything. Do the annoying things or especially the things you are dreading to do. Do them in backwards order. Most people do the fun, easy tasks first. Not you, do the tough ones first. It will make your day so much better.
3. DON’T multi-task. Ya thats right, I said it. When you are laser-focused on ONE THING you will get it done so much faster. This may come as a shock compared to what most people would teach, but it has proven time and time again a much faster way to get your tasks done. One at a time and don’t start the next task until you’re finished with the first.
4. Ask yourself, “Does this move by business forward?” Everything you do, filter it through that question. I keep it on my white board in front of my eyes so I can see it easily. Put it on a sticky note on your monitor, make it a task in your phone that pops up twice a day. If the answer to the question is “no” then stop doing it immediately. Close Facebook and Instagram and get back on your hustle. Sometimes I have to say this out loud! Get disciplined.
Another good way to take this approach: IF you had a disease that ONLY let you work 3 hours a day, and if you went over that limit you would die, WHAT would you do, and HOW would you work for those 3 hours? (Kind of brutal, but it works! If you had this disease, it would totally change your productivity.)
5. I use a giant whiteboard calendar on my wall, and below it, a giant whiteboard for tasks. Then I write down everything I have going on. This is mainly for my TWO big tasks per day, and then also so I can see what’s in my schedule coming up. Below it I list my specific smaller tasks. Crossing each one off as I get it done feels great and helps build momentum to get the others done as well.
This whiteboard strategy really will take your productivity to the next level. They’re only $8 for a sheet at Lowe’s or Home Depot.
6. Have a morning routine. This is one of the habits of billionaires. Me personally, I like to get up by 4:30am (Ya, I know.) Grab some water and some coffee (black of course) Then pray in the spirit for 15-30 minutes or so, then get in the Word, or listen to some preaching podcasts and take notes. THEN I get after those TWO must-do’s.
-Always start your day off by praying and doing your confessions. This will prepare you for anything that may come your way that day. It gets your shield of faith ready to block out any of satan’s attacks.
7. Once you get “in the zone” do everything you can to stay there. When you get in that hardcore work mode, stuff is getting done, you’re making progress and you can feel it, DON’T GET DISTRACTED. Once you’re out of the zone, it’s hard, sometimes impossible to get back there. Don’t check Facebook, don’t chat or text, sometimes even getting up for coffee can get you out of work mode, so just stay in the zone and hustle. You can catch up with people later. Protecting the “zone” is key. Remember you only have a solid 3-4 hours of true productivity.
Take these guidelines and apply them and watch your productivity skyrocket. They’re not just theories, I use these 7 strategies every day, they work!
Let’s be real.
Sometimes we feel like crap, but we still gotta go to work.
So what do we do? We soldier up, grit our teeth and keep taking ground. We don’t have time to get taken out by cold symptoms, we got stuff to do and a life to live!
So today I’ve got some tips for you on how to beat cold symptoms if they should ever dare to try and come upon you.
This post is a little different than my others but I think you will like it.
*Disclaimer: I ain’t no doctor! I’m just telling you what I do and what works for me. You’ll have to read the back of the box for yourself.
Symptoms: Throat burns like it’s on fire, your lymph nodes are swollen and it hurts to talk.
Remedy: Gargling hot saltwater will definitely help if it’s a minor sore throat, but if you need to kick it into high gear, give this a try:
I have a special “tea” I found on Tim Ferris’ website that really does wonders. It tastes like a kick to the back of the throat, but the results are amazing.
We will call it the “Anti-Cold Concoction.” You’ll need to run to the store and grab Ginger Root, and an Orange.
Step 1: Get fresh ginger and the orange rind (peel) from one orange, preferably organic or…not. I honestly don’t check.
Step 2: Cut the ginger into small pieces and mash them down with the side of a large kitchen knife.
Step 3: Bring water to a low boil in a small pot and insert ginger pieces. Wait 20 minutes. Note: to help relieve the muscular pains that often come with a cold or flu, you can run a hot bath or shower during this 20 minutes, before coming back to the kitchen for step 4.
Step 4: Add the orange peel sections to the boiling water and wait an additional 10 minutes. (And then maybe eat the orange, Vitamin C is good!)
Step 5: Strain the water out (leaving the ginger and orange peel in the pot) and drink up! Like I said, this concoction will feel like a kick to the back of the throat, but afterward you will thank him for not going easy on you.
Symptom: Nose is completely stuffed up, hard to breathe, but you need to sleep because you got work in the morning.
Remedy: Your best friend in this situation is going to be this little guy, Zicam. It’s like a Jedi light saber up your nose.
So now it’s bedtime and the Jedi nose-saber has been applied, you’re going to want the best and most sleep possible if you want to get rid of these symptoms quickly. The next piece of equipment is in fact the essence of “function over fashion” but let me introduce you to the Nose Strip.
I mean it makes perfect since. A strip that opens your nose up wider. Pure genius. I’ll tell you what though, they work. You’ll be breathing sweet and free in no time.
Obviously make sure you go to bed early. I’m talking like 8:30-9:00pm. You want to get as much rest as possible. Knock back a swig of Nyquil if it will help to ensure a deep, restful, sleep.
Now, when you wake up the next day, it’ll probably be early, this is good. I like to take a really hot shower and blow my nose like crazy while I’m in there. (Don’t judge me) If needed, after the shower, I’ll use the Zicam and get my nose cleared out. You can then go and reheat our anti-cold concoction from last night. I usually just keep it in the pot and turn the stove back on until the water boils again.
Next I usually drink one cup of coffee. I feel like the caffeine really does wake my body up and gets me up and going. I’ll also kind of jump-around and get my body moving, maybe do a couple of jumping jacks.
After that I make sure I’m very well hydrated. You’ll need to drink A LOT of water. Seriously. I’ll drink several bottles of water before I go to work and make sure I bring one or two with me.
I’ll grab some Emergen-C as well. Have one before work and one near lunch time. It has 1000% your daily needed Vitamin C dosage. Which sounds like a lot, and makes me feel cool after I drink it.
Another product I recommend if your throat still hurts at work:
If things get rough and you need a real boost, I’ll take a 5-hour energy (the knock-off brand at Walmart is just .88 cents and works just as well!) It’s full of vitamins like B-12 and will help get you through the day. (Probably just take one though)
This may sound like a lot, but by using these remedies, I have beaten the cold symptoms in as little as a day and a half.
Here are the two keys to getting well quickly:
1. I find if I keep moving and active, my body forgets that it’s not feeling well. But as soon as I slow down and get in that “I’m feeling sick” zone, the symptoms catch back up to my body. Literally keep your head held high, and your back straight. Act like you would on any normal day. Stay ahead of the symptoms and they will be gone in no time!
2. Your WORDS and what you confess will determine how long the symptoms stay on you. In fact your words can prevent them from landing on you in the first place. Speak only positive things like this catchy little phrase I picked up from a Preacher: “I feel great, I feel fine, body now get in line!”
Never say things like “Well, looks like I’m catching a cold.” “It’s just that time of year, everyone’s getting the bug right now.” – Those are toxic phrases, do not let them come out of your mouth.
Sidenote: Your coworkers and people around WILL ask, “Are you coming down with a cold? You sound awful.” This is a trap, don’t give in and confess. Simply reply, “Nah, I’m all right,” and then just keep on walking.
Speak this whenever symptoms try to come upon you:
“Nope, I refuse to accept any symptoms from any sickness. Devil you take your hands off me, you are trespassing on God’s property and you have no power here. No weapon formed against me shall prosper and no plague shall come near where I live. (Isaiah 54:17) I command these symptoms to leave my body now in the Name of Jesus, I know that by His stripes I was healed over 2000 years ago, therefore I am still healed today and refuse to accept these symptoms. I am healed in Jesus’ Name.” (1 Peter 2:24)
Repeat that over and over, build your faith up. Listen to teaching and preaching about healing and health, Romans 10:17 tells us that hearing the Word of God brings faith. Do this and your body will fall in line with God’s Word in no time at all.
I know some of you are thinking, well doesn’t the medicine you spoke about negate your faith for healing?
No, it doesn’t negate my faith.
I don’t put my trust in medicine, I take medicine.
I put my trust in God.
Click the link below and it will take you to my copywriting services page.
I have 8 great videos that show you how I breakdown bad sales copy and replace it with copy that will convert.
You'll learn lots of valuable lessons you can take and apply to your own website, emails, and Facebook ads as well.
Your sales copy is a BIG deal. Let's make sure you get it right!
This is what it looks like to reverse engineer $3,000 per month profit.
In most cases, 3k a month will nearly replace you or your spouse's income.
I get a lot of questions about how I pay myself from my online endeavors, so I wanted to take a quick minute and let you know what works for me.
I used to just take out all of my "gross profits" (Sales minus expenses) and call that my paycheck. Which at the very early stages of my drop shipping business, I guess that worked.
I sold a product for $350, then subtract - $150 (my cost of the product) then -$25 for shipping, then that would leave me with a gross profit of $175.
So I would take the $175 from my paypal account as though it was my "net" profit.
This wasn't really the best way to do things. It's nearsighted and doesn't set you up for success in the future.
But not too long ago, I read the book "Profit First" by Mike Michalowicz.
He had a totally backward way of paying himself, but it made total sense!
In a nutshell, you pay yourself FIRST.
Typically, the way people run their business by looking at their sales, subtracting all expenses and then pay yourself maybe, if there's something left over.
Which seems like sound logic.
But think about it, what's the main point of having your own business?
If you're brutally honest with yourself it's because you want to make money. (Nothing wrong with that - in fact you need to remind yourself of that often)
So here's essentially what the "profit first" model looks like:
Sales - Profit = Expenses.
The book expounds on all the reasons why this is a WAY better business model (and I agree!) so if you want more information, definitely get the book for all the details.
That being said, loosely based off his model and adapted to my situation, here's how I pay myself:
Once a month, I look at my gross profits (Sales - expenses) let's say it's $4,000.
$4,000 gross profit
-45% (My paycheck)
-15% (Taxes - open a new savings account for this)
-30% (Remains in my paypal account for expenses, such as website/hosting, leadpages, sumome, running facebook ads etc)
Consider setting something up like this for yourself. It REALLY helped me to tighten up on my business and really know what was going where and exactly how much I was truly making.
This has helped me immensely and I now feel like I have more control over my finances vs. me just taking things out whenever, and not really knowing exactly where I stood.
It's super simple, but quite powerful and assures that you always get paid vs "hoping" you do.